- Downtime is defined as a period of relaxation or decreased activity, or a time when a machine or technology is unavailable for use.
- When you have had a busy day and you kick back and relax with a beer, this is an example of downtime.
- When a website is not operational for an hour because the server is being updated, this hour is an example of downtime.
Enjoying a little downtime.
downtime definition by Webster's New World
- the time during which a machine, factory, etc. is shut down for repairs or the like
- the time during which a computer or computer system is down, or inoperative, due to hardware or software failure
- time spent not working; free or leisure time
- a brief period of inactivity occurring between tasks or obligations; rest, pause, break, etc.
- an unproductive period caused as by illness, unexpected difficulties, etc.
downtime definition by American Heritage Dictionary
downtime - Business Definition
downtime - Computer Definition
The time during which a functional machine or system is not functioning properly or is unavailable to users for other reasons. Scheduled downtime is planned in advance for reasons including scheduled maintenance, system updates and patches, and system upgrades. Unscheduled downtime is unplanned downtime due to system or environmental (e.g., power) failures. See also patch, update, upgrade, and uptime.
The time during which a computer is not functioning due to hardware, operating system or application program failure.