- a boiled dumpling
- Informal a U.S. infantryman, esp. of WWI
- A piece of bread dough that is rolled thin and fried in deep fat.
- An American infantryman in World War I.
Origin of doughboySense 2, perhaps from the large buttons on American uniforms of the 1860s, said to resemble doughboys (sense 1)
- (US) An American infantryman, especially one from World War I.
- According to Bullard.com, work for the original hard hat started in 1915 by one of Bullard men, and he based it on the helmet he'd worn in World War I, the doughboy.