double timedouble time
- ⌂ a rate of payment twice as high as usual, as for work on Sundays
- a marching cadence of 180 three-foot steps a minute: normal cadence is 120 steps a minute
- duple time
- twice as fast as the preceding tempo
- A marching pace of 180 three-foot steps per minute.
- A rate of pay, as for overtime work, that is twice the regular rate.
- (military) A fast marching pace of 180 steps per minute, 36 inches in length for the Marine Corps and Navy, 30 inches in length for the Army. It is not really double the speed of quick time as quick time is 112-120 steps per minute
- (music) A musical rhythm twice as fast as the overall beat, with this pattern of note lengths: 3/16 3/16 1/4 3/16 3/16
- (dance) A dance step pattern with six steps
- A rate of pay twice that of normal
(third-person singular simple present double-times, present participle double-timing, simple past and past participle double-timed)
- (intransitive, military) to march at double time.
- (military) to order troops to march at double time.