- to take off (clothes, etc.)
- to remove or lift (one's hat), as in greeting
- to put aside or discard
Origin of doffMiddle English doffen from don of: see do and off
transitive verbdoffed, doff·ing, doffs
- To take off; remove: doff one's clothes.
- To tip or remove (one's hat) in salutation.
- To put aside; discard.
Origin of doffMiddle English doffen from don off to do off don to do ; see do 1. off off ; see off .
(third-person singular simple present doffs, present participle doffing, simple past and past participle doffed)
- (remove or take off clothing): don