- An example of divergent are the ideologies of a liberal democrat and a conservative republican.
- An example of divergent is a path that splits off into two different directions.
The definition of divergent is things that move in different directions or that are far apart from each other.
- varying from one another or from a norm; deviating; different
- causing divergence
- not convergent, as a mathematical sequence
Origin of divergentMedieval Latin divergens, present participle of divergere
- Drawing apart from a common point; diverging.
- Departing from convention.
- Differing from another: a divergent opinion.
- Mathematics Failing to approach a limit; not convergent.
(comparative more divergent, superlative most divergent)
- ridge vent
Latin dis-, "apart", and vergere, "to turn", plus the adjectival suffix -ent.