- the state of being in disfavor, as because of bad conduct
- loss of favor or respect; public dishonor; ignominy; disrepute; shame
- a person or thing that brings shame, dishonor, or reproach (to one, etc.)
Fr disgrâce < It disgrazia < dis- (L dis-), not + grazia, favor < L gratia: see grace
transitive verb disgraced, disgracing
- to bring shame or dishonor upon; be a discredit to; be unworthy of: to disgrace one's family
- to dismiss from a position of favor; punish by degrading; humiliate
Fr disgracier < It disgraziare < the n.