Dikey is a British variation of the word dike, which is defined as a ditch or embankment.noun
A ditch is an example of a dikey.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
Variant of dike
- Brit., Dialectal
- a ditch or watercourse
- the bank of earth thrown up in digging a ditch
- an embankment or dam made to prevent flooding by the sea or by a river
- a protective barrier or obstacle
- Scot. a low dividing wall of earth or stone
- Archaic a raised causeway
- Geol. igneous rock that solidified as a tabular body in a more or less vertical fissure
Origin: ME < OE dic & ON diki, akin to ditch, Du dijk, Ger deich < IE base *dhēigw-, *dhīgw-, to pierce, fasten > L figere, fix
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.