Slang difference: what's the diff?
Difference: “[His] flaw &ellipsis; starts with a fleshy calculation, an instinct to blunt disagreement and split the diff” (Peggy Noonan).
- (slang) Abbreviation of difference.
- A peach and an apricot? What's the diff?
- (computing) Any program which compares two files or sets of files and outputs a description of the differences between them.
- (computing) The output of a diff program. A diff file.
- (medicine) Abbreviation of differential: differential of types of white blood cell in a complete blood count.
- (slang) Abbreviation of difficult.
- (rock climbing) A difficult route.
(third-person singular simple present diffs, present participle diffing, simple past and past participle diffed)
- (computing) To run a diff program on (files or items).
- (computing) To produce a description of changes made to a collection of files. To produce a patch file.
- (computing) To compare two files or other objects, manually or otherwise.
- (computing) A program, historically part of the Unix operating system, which compares two files or sets of files and outputs a description of the differences between them.