Variant of diaphragm
- the partition of muscles and tendons between the chest cavity and the abdominal cavity; midriff
- any membrane or partition that separates one thing from another
- a dividing wall at the node of a plant stem
- a device to regulate the amount of light entering the lens of a camera, microscope, etc.
- ☆ a small, flexible contraceptive device of rubber or plastic that fits over the cervix of the uterus
- a thin, flexible disk or cone that vibrates in response to sound waves to produce electrical signals, as in a microphone, or that vibrates in response to electrical signals to produce sound waves, as in a speaker
Origin: Middle English diafragma ; from Late Latin diaphragma ; from Classical Greek ; from dia-, through plush phragma, a fence ; from phrassein, to enclose