- a sundial
- the face of a watch or clock
- the face of a meter, gauge, compass, etc. on which a pointer or the like indicates an amount, degree, direction, etc.
- an illuminated strip on a radio, marked with frequency numbers and equipped with a pointer, for indicating the station selected
- a usually graduated disk or knob for controlling some function, as the selection of a TV channel or the temperature of an oven
- a rotating disk on a telephone, used in making connections automatically
- loosely an arrangement of numbered push buttons on a telephone, used for this purpose
ME < ML dialis, daily < L dies, day: see deity
transitive verb, intransitive verb dialed or dialled, dialing or dialling
- to measure (something) with or as with a dial
- to tune in (a radio station, television channel, program, etc.)
- ☆ to call (a person, telephone number, etc.) on a telephone by using a dial, keypad, etc.