(third-person singular simple present dials it in, present participle dialing it in, simple past and past participle dialed it in)
- To set up in a perfect or complete way.
- The mechanic dialed in the bicycle before the customer picked it up.
- To give a lackluster, uninspired, or timid performance (especially when capable of doing better); to phone it in.
- The actor simply dialed in his performance, leaving even his devoted fans disappointed with the show as a whole.
- (set up well): Often, complex systems have many dials, which need to be tweaked for optimal performance. Thus, dialing it in, involves moving the various dials until the system is performing better.