Variant of devil
- the chief evil spirit, a supernatural being subordinate to, and the foe of, God, and the tempter of human beings; Satan: typically depicted as a man with horns, a tail, and cloven feet: with the
- any evil spirit; demon
- a very wicked or malevolent person
- a person who is mischievous, energetic, reckless, etc.
- an unlucky, unhappy person: that poor devil
- anything that is difficult or is hard to operate, control, understand, etc.
- printer's devil
- any of various machines for tearing things, as paper or rags, to bits
Origin: Middle English devel ; from Old English deofol ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin diabolus ; from Classical Greek diabolos, slanderous (in Septuagint Satan; in New Testament , devil) ; from diaballein, to slander, literally , throw across ; from dia-, across plush ballein, to throw: see ball