(plural desert rats)
- One of various mouselike rodents species inhabiting deserts:
- A gerbil (Gerbillinae) of the deserts of Africa and Asia
- A kangaroo rat (Dipodomys) from North America
- A Natal multimammate mouse (Mastomys natalensis) from Africa
- A jerboa, including species such as Jaculus orientalis and the lesser Egyptian jerboa, Jaculus jaculus, which inhabit the desert regions of North Africa.
- A British or Australian soldier who served in North Africa with the British 7th Armoured Division in 1941-42.