An example of a dependent variable is n in the math equation n = 6b.
- Mathematics A mathematical variable whose value is determined by the value assumed by an independent variable.
- Statistics The observed variable in an experiment or study whose changes are determined by the presence or degree of one or more independent variables.
(plural dependent variables)
- (algebra) In an equation, the variable whose value depends on one or more variables in the equation.
- In the equation z = x2 + y, z is the dependent variable.
- (sciences) an outcome measured to see the effectiveness of the treatment.