transitive verb-·fied·, -·fy·ing
- to make a god of; rank among the gods
- to look upon or worship as a god
- to glorify, exalt, or adore in an extreme way; idolize
Origin of deifyMiddle English deifien from Old French deifier from Ecclesiastical Late Latin deificare, to make divine from Classical Latin deus, god + facere, to make, do
transitive verbdei·fied, dei·fy·ing, dei·fies
- To make a god of; raise to the condition of a god.
- To worship or revere as a god: deify a leader.
- To idealize; exalt: deifying success.
Origin of deifyMiddle English deifien from Old French deifier from Late Latin deificāre from deificus deific ; see deific .
(third-person singular simple present deifies, present participle deifying, simple past and past participle deified)