The definition of a cynosure is something or someone who is the center of attention.
An example of a cynosure is a beautiful new car displayed at an auto show.
- [C-] the constellation Ursa Minor, or the North Star which is in this constellation
- any person or thing that is a center of attention or interest
Origin of cynosureClassical Latin from Classical Greek kynosoura, dog's tail, constellation of Ursa Minor from ky?n (see hound) + oura, tail: see uro-
- An object that serves as a focal point of attention and admiration.
- Something that serves to guide.
Origin of cynosureFrench Ursa Minor (which contains the guiding star Polaris) from Latin cynosūra from Greek kunosoura dog's tail, Ursa Minor kunos genitive of kuōn dog ; see kwon- in Indo-European roots. ourā tail ; see ors- in Indo-European roots.
- (usually capitalized) Ursa Minor or Polaris, the North Star, used as a guide by navigators.
- (figuratively) That which serves to guide or direct; a guiding star.
- let faith be your cynosure to walk by
- Something that is the center of attention; an object that serves as a focal point of attraction and admiration.