The definition of a cynosure is something or someone who is the center of attention.
An example of a cynosure is a beautiful new car displayed at an auto show.
- the constellation Ursa Minor, or the North Star which is in this constellation
- any person or thing that is a center of attention or interest
Origin of cynosureClassical Latin ; from Classical Greek kynosoura, dog's tail, constellation of Ursa Minor ; from ky?n (see hound) + oura, tail: see uro-
- An object that serves as a focal point of attention and admiration.
- Something that serves to guide.
Origin of cynosureFrench, Ursa Minor (which contains the guiding star Polaris), from Latin cynos&umacron;ra, from Greek kunosoura, dog's tail, Ursa Minor : kunos, genitive of ku&omacron;n, dog; see kwon- in Indo-European roots + oura, tail; see ors- in Indo-European roots.
- (usually capitalized) Ursa Minor or Polaris, the North Star, used as a guide by navigators.
- (figuratively) That which serves to guide or direct; a guiding star.
- let faith be your cynosure to walk by
- Something that is the center of attention; an object that serves as a focal point of attraction and admiration.