Variant of cure
- a healing or being healed; restoration to health or a sound condition
- a medicine or treatment for restoring health; remedy
- a system, method, or course of treating a disease, ailment, etc.
- spiritual charge of persons in a particular district; care of souls
- the work or position of a curate; curacy
- a process for curing meat, fish, tobacco, etc.
Origin: OFr < L cura, care, concern, trouble < OL *coira < IE base *kois-, be concerned
- to restore to health or a sound condition; make well; heal
- to get rid of or counteract (an ailment, evil, bad habit, etc.)
- to get rid of a harmful or undesirable condition in: (with of): cured him of lying
- to preserve (meat, fish, etc.), as by salting or smoking
- to process (tobacco, leather, etc.), as by drying or aging
- to encourage the proper hardening of (concrete or mortar) by regulating humidity and temperature
- to bring about a cure
- to undergo curing, preserving, or processing: tobacco cures in the sun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.