- The definition of cueing is giving a reminder or hint of something.
An example of cueing is a teacher whispering lines to her students from behind the stage curtain.
Variant of cue
- a bit of dialogue, action, or music that is a signal for an actor's entrance or speech, or for the working of curtains, lights, sound effects, etc.
- Music a gesture or written device used to signal the entry of one or more instrumentalists or vocalists
- anything serving as a signal to do something
- an indirect suggestion; hint
- Now Rare
- the role that one is assigned to play
- a necessary course of action
- Archaic frame of mind; mood; temperament
- Psychol. a secondary stimulus that guides behavior, often without entering consciousness
Origin: ; from q, Q, used inch(es) plays inch(es) 16th and amp; 17th circa to indicate actors' entrances; probably abbreviation, abbreviated of some Classical Latin word (as quando, when, qualis, inch(es) what manner)
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.