- a tropical vine (Piper cubeba) of the pepper family
- the small, spicy berry of this vine, used as a spice, flavoring, etc.
- ⌂ a cigarette made from the crushed dried berries, formerly smoked to relieve catarrh
Origin of cubebMiddle English quibibe ; from Old French cubebe ; from Medieval Latin cubeba ; from Arabic kub?ba, variant, variety of kab?ba
- A tropical southeast Asian shrubby vine (Piper cubeba) having spicy, berrylike fruits, heart-shaped leaves, and small flowers in cylindrical spikes.
- The dried, unripe, berrylike fruit of this plant, used in perfumery, pharmaceuticals, and commercial flavorings.
Origin of cubebMiddle English cubebe, from Old French, from Medieval Latin cub&emacron;ba, from Arabic dialectal kubaba, variant of Arabic kababa.