- a tropical vine (Piper cubeba) of the pepper family
- the small, spicy berry of this vine, used as a spice, flavoring, etc.
- a cigarette made from the crushed dried berries, formerly smoked to relieve catarrh
Origin of cubebMiddle English quibibe from Old French cubebe from Medieval Latin cubeba from Arabic kub?ba, variant, variety of kab?ba
- A tropical southeast Asian shrubby vine (Piper cubeba) having spicy, berrylike fruits, heart-shaped leaves, and small flowers in cylindrical spikes.
- The dried, unripe, berrylike fruit of this plant, used in perfumery, pharmaceuticals, and commercial flavorings.
Origin of cubebMiddle English cubebe from Old French from Medieval Latin cubēba from Arabic dialectal kubāba variant of Arabic kabāba