- The definition of coyly is something done flirtatiously or with a pretense towards shyness and modesty.
When you bat your eyelashes and act flirtatious and helpless as you ask your crush to help you carry your books home, this is an example of when you act coyly.
Variant of coy
- Obsolete quiet; silent
- shrinking from contact or familiarity with others; bashful; shy
- primly reserved; demure
- affecting innocence or shyness, esp. in a playful or coquettish manner
- reticent or evasive, as in making a commitment
- Archaic inaccessible; secluded
- Obsolete disdainfully aloof
Origin: Middle English still, quiet ; from Old French coi, earlier quei ; from Late Latin an unverified form quetus ; from Classical Latin quietus: see quiet