- A civilian who becomes a military paramedic and who helps take care of wounded soldiers on the battlefield is an example of a corpsman.
- A member of a government-sponsored group such as the Peace Corp is an example of a corpsman.
The definition of a corpsman is a member of a military medical unit, or is a member of a civilian corps.
- a member of a paramedical unit
- a member of a military medical corps
- An enlisted person in the US Navy, serving either with the Navy or the Marines, who has been trained to give first aid and basic medical treatment, especially in combat situations.
- A member of a government-sponsored group designated as a corps: Peace Corpsmen.