corporate[kôr′pə rit, -prit]
- The definition of corporate is something related to a business group or a business that operates as a single legal unit.
- An example of corporate is a culture in an office.
- An example of corporate is a company that has filed papers and become incorporated.
- Archaic united; combined
- having the nature of, or acting by means of, a corporation; incorporated
- of a corporation: corporate debts
- shared by all members of a unified group; common; joint: corporate responsibility
- corporative (sense )
Origin of corporateMiddle English corporat ; from Classical Latin corporatus, past participle of corporare, to make into a body ; from corpus, body: see corpus
- Formed into a corporation; incorporated: the corporate companies of industrial America.
- Of or relating to a corporation: corporate assets; corporate culture.
- United or combined into one body; collective: made a corporate effort to finish the job.
- Of or relating to a corporative government or political system.
Origin of corporateLatin corporātus, past participle of corporāre, to make into a body, from corpus, corpor-, body; see kwrep- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more corporate, superlative most corporate)
(third-person singular simple present corporates, present participle corporating, simple past and past participle corporated)
- (obsolete) To incorporate.
- (obsolete, intransitive) To become incorporated.
corporate - Legal Definition