- They feed on organic matter and are not plants, animals, or bacteria.
- It is a sac fungus that grows on insects and other fungi.
- There are around 400 species that can be found around the world in tropical forests and other temperate and humid places.
- Most of the species can be found in China, Japan, Thailand, Nepal, and Korea.
- On the television show Modern Marvels on the History Channel it was said that, in Nepal, an ounce of Cordyceps can be sold for $900.
- The fungus Cordyceps has medicinal purposes that have been known to the Chinese and Tibetans for thousands of years.
- It is considered one of the best traditional Chinese medicines, having the ability to help kidney and lung conditions and strengthen the immune system. It may help a wide range of diseases and also prevents illness.
- Cordyceps increase the production of T-helper cells, enable lymphocytes to live longer, stimulate progesterone production, and are effective against certain tumors.
- It has actually been referred to as a miracle medicine and is called Cold Fire because it is powerful but gentle.
The definition of cordycept is a fungi.
Facts About Cordycepts
Examples of cordycepts are the fungi that three athletes from Nepal took in 1993 before breaking five world records in the 1500, 3000 and 10,000 meter events at the National Games in Kathmandu, Nepal.