- Any of several waterbirds of the widely distributed genus Fulica, having dark-gray plumage, a black head and neck, and a white bill.
- See scoter.
- Derogatory An eccentric or crotchety person, especially an old man.
Origin of cootMiddle English coote, possibly from Middle Dutch coet.
- Any of various aquatic birds of the genus Fulica that are mainly black with a prominent frontal shield on the forehead.
- (colloquial) A stupid fellow; a simpleton
- A silly coot.
- (slang, with the) A success; something excellent.
- Man that song's the coot.
- Would be the coot if we could go this weekend!
- (slang) Body louse.
Variant of coot