a cooking contest in which participants prepare their own recipes, as for chili or barbecued spare ribs, held as a public event, usually outdoors, with the food for sale to the public
A cooking competition.
- Alternative spelling of cook-off.
(third-person singular simple present cooks off, present participle cooking off, simple past and past participle cooked off)
- (US, military) To pull the pin from a grenade and wait two or three seconds before throwing.
- (US, military) As with above, except to unintentionally wait so long that the grenade detonates.
- (chemistry, military) To cause an accidental detonation of explosives, especially due to excess heat.
- (intransitive, chemistry, military) To accidentally detonate, especially as the result of excess heat.