- The definition of continental is having the characteristics of the European continent or something related to the continent.
An example of something continental is a trade law that applies to Europe, a continental agreement.
- A continental is defined as a person living in Europe, not in the British Isles, or an American soldier during the American Revolution.
An example of a continental is a person living in Italy.
- of a continent
- of or characteristic of the continent of Europe, excluding the British Isles
- ⌂ of the American colonies at the time of the American Revolution, or of the states just after this: the Continental Army
- designating that portion of the U.S. landmass south of Canada
- Meteorol. of the relatively dry air or climate associated with large land masses
- a person living on the continent of Europe, excluding the British Isles
- ⌂ a soldier of the American army during the Revolution
- ⌂ a piece of paper money issued by the Continental Congress: it became almost worthless before the end of the war, hence the phrases not care (or give) a continental and not worth a continental
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of a continent.
- often Continental Of or relating to the mainland of Europe; European.
- Continental Of or relating to the American colonies during and immediately after the American Revolution.
- Used as an intensive: “Blaine, Blaine, James G. Blaine, / The continental liar from the state of Maine.” (Grover Cleveland).
- often Continentala. An inhabitant of a continent.b. An inhabitant of the mainland of Europe; a European.
- A native of the continental United States living or working in Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands.
- Continental A soldier in the American army during the American Revolution.
- A piece of paper money issued by the Continental Congress during the American Revolution.
(comparative more continental, superlative most continental)
- Of or relating to a continent or continents.
- continental drift
- In the main part of a country or region, as opposed to on one of its islands.
- continental Europe
- (chiefly in the UK) Characteristic of the style of continental Europe, as opposed to British.
- continental breakfast
- (US, historical) Of or relating to the confederated colonies collectively, in the time of the Revolutionary War.
- continental money
- Someone from "the continent".
- (US History) A member of the Continental army.
- (US History) Paper scrip (paper money) issued by the continental congress, largely worthless by the end of the war (hence the expression "not worth a continental")