(countable and uncountable, plural consistences)
- (archaic) The physical quality which is given by the degree of firmness, solidity, density, and viscosity; consistency.
- The staying together, or remaining in close relation, of non-physical things.
- Her performance has lacked consistence over the last year.
- This composer's musical work is of extraordinary consistence.
- Jeremy Taylor
- We are as water, weak, and of no consistence.
Variant of consistency
- the condition of holding together; firmness or thickness, as of a liquid
- amount or degree of this: oil of the wrong consistency
- agreement; harmony; logical connection: arguments lacking consistency
- agreement with what has already been done or expressed; conformity with previous practice
Origin of consistencyMedieval Latin consistentia: see consistent