- Of or relating to either the Republic of the Congo or the Democratic Republic of the Congo or to their peoples, languages, or cultures.
- Of or relating to the region surrounding the Congo River or its peoples, languages, or cultures.
Origin of CongoleseFrench congolais from Congo , Congo ( probably on the model of angolais Angolan )
- A person from the Republic of the Congo
- A person from the Democratic Republic of the Congo (Zaire)
The term Congolese on its own is not strictly a nationality since it refers to two different nations, and it is therefore a regional or supranational word, like Dominican or Scandinavian. There is no simple modifier which can be added to the word to define which nation is meant. Sometimes the nation's acronym (ROC or DRC) is added before or after 'Congolese', as in 'DRC Congolese' or 'Congolese (DRC)', sometimes the names of the capitals are added:
- Three of them were DRC Congolese and the other two were ROC Congolese
- Three of them were (Kinshasa) Congolese and the other two were (Brazzaville) Congolese.
From Congo +"Ž -ese