- a person of the same rank or status; equal; peer
- a companion; comrade
Origin of compeerMiddle English and Old French compair from Classical Latin compar: see com- and par
- A person of equal status or rank; a peer.
- A comrade, companion, or associate.
Origin of compeerMiddle English comper from Old French from Latin compār equal ; see compare .
- (obsolete) the equal or peer of someone else; someone who is a close companion or associate of someone else
(third-person singular simple present compeers, present participle compeering, simple past and past participle compeered)
- To be equal with; to match.
- compere, compère