- colloquial quality, style, or usage
- a colloquial word or expression
- loosely a localism, or regionalism
The definition of a colloquialism is a word or expression used in casual language by common people.
An example of a colloquialism is the cliche "Life's short."
- Colloquial style or quality.
- A colloquial expression.
- A colloquial word or phrase; a common spoken expression, often regional.
colloquial + -ism
- Colloquialism: The machine has to learn how to recognize and translate colloquial phrases as well as idiomatic expressions such as C'est quoi, ça?
- Please avoid using any colloquialism or slang in any of your formal essays.
- Using a colloquialism can be a good way to add some everyday language to a piece of creative writing.