- The definition of a colloquialism is a word or expression used in casual language by common people.
An example of a colloquialism is the cliche "Life's short."
colloquialism definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- colloquial quality, style, or usage
- a colloquial word or expression
- loosely a localism, or regionalism
colloquialism definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Colloquial style or quality.
- A colloquial expression.