- Bot. resembling latticework; reticulated
- Chem. of or pertaining to a mixture in which the molecules of one substance are completely entrapped in the crystal lattice or cell-like structure of the other
Origin of clathrateClassical Latin clathratus, past participle of clathrare, to furnish with a lattice ; from Classical Latin clathri, lattice ; from Classical Greek (Doric) klaithra, a bar, fence
- Biology Having a latticelike structure or appearance: clathrate scales.
- Chemistry Of or relating to inclusion complexes in which molecules of one substance are completely enclosed within the crystal structure of another.
Origin of clathrateLatin cl&amacron;thr&amacron;tus, past participle of cl&amacron;thr&amacron;re, to furnish with a lattice, from cl&amacron;thr&imacron;, cl&amacron;tra, lattice, from Greek kl&emacron;ithra, pl. of kl&emacron;ithron, door bar, from kleiein, to close.
- (chemistry) a clathrate compound