- Bot. resembling latticework; reticulated
- Chem. of or pertaining to a mixture in which the molecules of one substance are completely entrapped in the crystal lattice or cell-like structure of the other
Origin of clathrateClassical Latin clathratus, past participle of clathrare, to furnish with a lattice ; from Classical Latin clathri, lattice ; from Classical Greek (Doric) klaithra, a bar, fence
- Biology Having a latticelike structure or appearance: clathrate scales.
- Chemistry Of or relating to inclusion complexes in which molecules of one substance are completely enclosed within the crystal structure of another.
Origin of clathrateLatin clathratus, past participle of clathrare, to furnish with a lattice, from clathr&imacron;, clatra, lattice, from Greek kl&emacron;ithra, pl. of kl&emacron;ithron, door bar, from kleiein, to close.
- (chemistry) a clathrate compound