- Bot. resembling latticework; reticulated
- Chem. of or pertaining to a mixture in which the molecules of one substance are completely entrapped in the crystal lattice or cell-like structure of the other
Origin of clathrateClassical Latin clathratus, past participle of clathrare, to furnish with a lattice from Classical Latin clathri, lattice from Classical Greek (Doric) klaithra, a bar, fence
- Biology Having a latticelike structure or appearance: clathrate scales.
- Chemistry Of or relating to inclusion complexes in which molecules of one substance are completely enclosed within the crystal structure of another.
A clathrate compound, such as methane hydrate.
Origin of clathrateLatin clāthrātus past participle of clāthrāre to furnish with a lattice from clāthrī, clātra lattice from Greek klēithra pl. of klēithron door bar from kleiein to close
- (chemistry) a clathrate compound