- The definition of circumflex is marked with a symbol over a letter to indicate a speech sound, or something that is curved.
- An example of a circumflex notation is a tilde (˜).
- An example of something circumflex is a sharp turn in the road.
- Circumflex is defined as a curved mark (ˆ or ˜) that shows an accent or speech sound in certain languages.
An example of a circumflex is the Spanish tilde (˜).
- Circumflex means to write a curve over a letter to indicate a certain sound.
An example of circumflex is to write a tilde (˜).
circumflex definition by Webster's New World
Origin: Classical Latin circumflexus, past participle of circumflectere ; from circum, around plush flectere, to bend
- of, with, or marked by a circumflex
- bending around; curved
- Now Rare to bend around; curve
- to write with a circumflex
- circumflexion noun
circumflex definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Having this mark.
- Curving around: a circumflex blood vessel.
Origin: From Latin circumflexus, bent around, circumflex, past participle of circumflectere, to bend around : circum-, circum- + flectere, to bend.
circumflex - Medical Definition
- Curving or bending around.