- of or fit for a church
- belonging to a church
- Of or relating to a church.
- Appropriate for or suggestive of a church: “aspires to the pure fragrance of churchly incense” ( Martin Bernheimer )
(comparative churchlier, superlative churchliest)
- Pertaining to or relating to the church, its government, forms, or ceremonies; ecclesiastical.
- Devoted to, or inclined to attach great importance to, the order and ritual of a particular section of the Christian church.
- In accordance with ecclesiatical standards or ceremonies; appropriate for or befitting a church.
- churchly music
- Characteristic of a church; churchy.
From Middle English *chircheli, from Old English ċiriċlīċ (“ecclesiastical”), equivalent to church + -ly. Cognate with Scots kirklyk, kirklike (“ecclesiastical”), Dutch kerkelijk (“ecclesiastic, ecclesiastical”), German kirchlich (“ecclesiastical, religious, ecclesiastic”), Swedish kyrklig (“ecclesiastical”). Compare also churchlike.