chordal definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Of or relating to the strings of an instrument.
- Relating to or consisting of a harmonic chord.
- Giving prominence to harmonic rather than contrapuntal structure: chordal music.
chordal - Medical Definition
Of or relating to a chorda or cord.
Variant of chord
- Archaic the string of a musical instrument
- a feeling or emotion thought of as being played on like the string of a harp: to strike a sympathetic chord
- an imaginary straight line extending directly through an airfoil from the leading to the trailing edge
- the length of such a line
- Anat. cord (sense )
- Engineering a principal horizontal member in a rigid framework, as of a bridge
- Geom. a straight line segment joining any two points on an arc, curve, or circumference
Origin: altered (infl. by Classical Latin chorda) ; from cord