- having the properties of acetylcholine
- releasing or stimulated by acetylcholine
Origin of cholinergic; from choline + Classical Greek ergon, work + -ic
- Activated by or capable of liberating acetylcholine, especially in the parasympathetic nervous system.
- Having physiological effects similar to those of acetylcholine: a cholinergic agent or drug.
Origin of cholinergic(acetyl)cholin(e) + –ergic.
(comparative more cholinergic, superlative most cholinergic)
- (biochemistry) Of, pertaining to, activated by, producing or having the same function as acetylcholine
choline + -ergic