The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
A city of south-central Ohio south of Columbus. It became capital of the Northwest Territory in 1800 and served as Ohio's capital from 1803 to 1810 and from 1812 to 1816. Population: 22,200.