- a slow, solemn dance in 3/4 time, of Spanish or Moorish origin, similar to the passacaglia
- later, a popular social dance in France in the 17th and early 18th cent.
- music for this dance
- either of two musical forms developed from this music, specif.,
- a series of variations based on a short harmonic progression
- an expanded rondo form
Origin of chaconneFrench from Spanish chacona from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Basque chukun, pretty
- a. A slow, stately dance in triple time of the 1700s.b. The music for this dance.
- A form consisting of variations based on a reiterated harmonic pattern.
Origin of chaconneFrench from Spanish chacona a kind of dance in quick tempo of unknown origin