- The definition of certitude means absolute confidence in something or an unquestioning belief in something.
People who are very religious express certitude about their faith.
certitude definition by Webster's New World
- a feeling of absolute sureness or conviction
- sureness; inevitability
Origin: Old French ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin certitudo ; from Classical Latin certus, certain
certitude definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The state of being certain; complete assurance; confidence.
- Sureness of occurrence or result; inevitability.
- Something that is assured or unfailing: “eager to swap the hazards of American freedom for the gray certitudes of Soviet life” (Time). See Synonyms at certainty.
Origin: Middle English, from Late Latin certitūdō, from Latin certus, certain; see certain.