- a powdered substance made of burned lime and clay, mixed with water and sand to make mortar or with water, sand, and gravel to make concrete: the mixture hardens when it dries
- concrete: a loose usage
- any soft substance that fastens things together firmly when it hardens, as glue
- anything that joins together or unites; bond
- the fine-grained material that binds together the larger constituents in many kinds of sedimentary or clastic rock
- Dentistry a cementlike substance used to fill cavities, set crowns, etc.
- Metallurgy a dust or powder, as of charcoal or sand, or a finely divided metal, used in cementation
ME & OFr ciment < L caementum, rough stone, chippings < *caedimentum < caedere, to cut down: see -cide