Variant of cause
- anything producing an effect or result
- a person or thing acting voluntarily or involuntarily as the agent that brings about an effect or result: drinking was the cause of his downfall
- a reason, motive, or ground for some action, feeling, etc.; esp., sufficient reason: cause for complaint
- any objective or movement that a person or group is interested in and supports, esp. one involving social reform
- Law an action or question to be resolved by a court of law
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin causa, a cause, reason, judicial process, lawsuit: influenced, influence (in causesenses and amp; ) by case
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.