- (US) Present participle of carol.
- A singing of carols.
Variant of carol
- Obsolete a kind of circle dance
- a song of joy or praise; esp., a Christmas song
Origin of carolMiddle English carole ; from Old French kind of dance, Christmas song ; from Medieval Latin choraula, a dance to the flute ; from Classical Latin choraules ; from Classical Greek choraulēs, flute player who accompanied the choral dance ; from choros, chorus + aulein, to play the flute ; from aulos, flute
intransitive verbcaroled or carolled, caroling or carolling
- to sing, esp. in joy; warble
- to sing carols, esp. Christmas carols, in chorus with others
- to sing (a tune, etc.)
- to praise in song