- producing or containing carbon or coal
- [usuallyC-] designating or of the fifth geologic period of the Paleozoic Era, subdivided into the Pennsylvanian (the Upper Carboniferous) and the Mississippian (the Lower Carboniferous) and characterized by warm, moist climate and vast swamps which eventually formed into extensive coal deposits
Origin of carboniferouscarbon + -i- + -ferous
the Carboniferous Period or its rocks
- Of, relating to, or being the geologic division of the Paleozoic Era from about 359 to 299 million years ago. The Carboniferous Period follows the Devonian Period and precedes the Permian Period and includes the Mississippian and Pennsylvanian Periods. It is characterized, especially in the Pennsylvanian, by swamp formation and deposition of plant remains that later hardened into coal.
- carboniferous Producing or containing carbon or coal.
The Carboniferous Period. geologic time
(comparative more carboniferous, superlative most carboniferous)
- Containing or producing carbon
- (geology) the Carboniferous period