- enlarged at the head or tip
- head-shaped, as some flowers
Origin of capitateClassical Latin capitatus, having a head from caput, head
- Enlarged and globular at the tip, as a bone of the wrist having a rounded knoblike end or the stigma of certain flowers.
- Having flowers arranged in a dense headlike cluster.
Origin of capitateLatin capitātus having a head from caput capit- head ; see kaput- in Indo-European roots.
- (anatomy) The capitate bone of the wrist.
(third-person singular simple present capitates, present participle capitating, simple past and past participle capitated)
- (US, health care) To pay health-care providers using a capitation system.