Variant of cane
- the slender, jointed, usually flexible stem of any of certain plants, as bamboo or rattan
- any plant with such a stem, as sugar cane or sorghum
- the woody stem of a small fruiting or flowering plant, as the blackberry or rose
- any of a genus (Arundinaria) of tall grasses of the S U.S.
- a stick or rod used for flogging
- walking stick (sense )
- an aluminum or wooden rod with a curved handle, used for support in walking
- a split rattan, used in weaving chair seats, wickerwork, etc.
Origin of caneMiddle English and amp; Old French canne ; from Italian canna ; from Classical Latin reed, cane ; from Classical Greek kanna; probably ; from Assyrian qanū (or Classical Hebrew (language) qaneh), tube, reed ; from Sumerian gin