- the slender, jointed, usually flexible stem of any of certain plants, as bamboo or rattan
- any plant with such a stem, as sugar cane or sorghum
- the woody stem of a small fruiting or flowering plant, as the blackberry or rose
- any of a genus (Arundinaria) of tall grasses of the S U.S.
- a stick or rod used for flogging
- walking stick (sense )
- an aluminum or wooden rod with a curved handle, used for support in walking
- a split rattan, used in weaving chair seats, wickerwork, etc.
ME & OFr canne < It canna < L, reed, cane < Gr kanna; prob. < Assyr qanū (or Heb qaneh), tube, reed < Sumerian gin
transitive verb caned, caning
- to flog with a cane
- to make or furnish (chairs, etc.) with cane