- Present participle of candy.
Variant of candy
- crystallized sugar made by boiling and evaporating cane sugar, syrup, etc.
- a sweet food, usually in small pieces or bars, made mainly from sugar or syrup, with flavoring, fruit, chocolate, nuts, etc. added
- a piece of such food
Origin of candy; from sugar candy ; from Middle English (sugre) candi ; from Old French (sucre) candi ; from OIt (zucchero) candi ; from Arabic qandi ; from Persian qand, cane sugar; probably ; from Sanskrit khaṇḍa, piece (of sugar)
transitive verbcandied, candying
- to cook in or with sugar or syrup, esp. to preserve, glaze, or encrust
- to crystallize into or like sugar
- to sweeten; make pleasant
Origin of candyFr candir < It candire < candi: see the candy
to become candied