Variant of candy
noun pl. candies
- crystallized sugar made by boiling and evaporating cane sugar, syrup, etc.
- a sweet food, usually in small pieces or bars, made mainly from sugar or syrup, with flavoring, fruit, chocolate, nuts, etc. added
- a piece of such food
Origin: < sugar candy < ME (sugre) candi < OFr (sucre) candi < OIt (zucchero) candi < Ar qandi < Pers qand, cane sugar; prob. < Sans khaṇḍa, piece (of sugar)
- to cook in or with sugar or syrup, esp. to preserve, glaze, or encrust
- to crystallize into or like sugar
- to sweeten; make pleasant
Origin: Fr candir < It candire < candi: see the candy
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.