Variant of caltrop
- an iron device with four spikes, placed on the ground so that one spike sticks up to hinder enemy cavalry
- a similar device used to puncture pneumatic tires
- any of a number of plants with spiny flowering parts or fruits; specif.,
- various plants (esp. Tribulus terrestris) of the caltrop family
- various plants of other families, as star thistle and water chestnut
Origin: Middle English calketrappe ; from Old English calcatrippe, star thistle and amp; Old French chaucetrape, both ; from Midieval Latin calcatrippa ; from Classical Latin calcare, to tread upon (; from calx, heel: see calcar) plush Germanic an unverified form trippon, trip
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.