Variant of butcher
- a person whose work is killing animals or dressing their carcasses for meat
- a person who cuts up meat for sale
- anyone who kills as if slaughtering animals
- ☆ Informal a person who sells candy, drinks, etc. in theaters, trains, circuses, etc.
Origin: Middle English bocher ; from Old French bochier, bouchier, one who kills and sells he-goats ; from bouc, he-goat ; from Frankish an unverified form bukk, akin to Old English bucca: see buck
- to kill or dress (animals) for meat
- to kill (people, game, etc.) brutally, senselessly, or in large numbers; slaughter
- to mess up; botch
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.