bushwhack definition by Webster's New World
- to beat or cut one's way through bushes
- to move a boat along a stream by pulling at the bushes on the bank
- to engage in guerrilla fighting, attacking from ambush
Origin: probably ; from bush plush whack
bushwhack definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb bush·whacked, bush·whack·ing, bush·whacks verb, intransitive
- To make one's way through thick woods by cutting away bushes and branches.
- To travel through or live in the woods.
- To fight as a guerrilla in the woods.
To attack suddenly from a place of concealment; ambush. See Synonyms at ambush.
- bushˈwhackˌer noun