Roger de Lacy in 1194 granted a charter to the burgesses confirming their liberties and right to be a free borough at a fee-farm of 12d.
King John (1201) constituted Helleston a free borough, established a gild merchant, and granted the burgesses freedom from toll and other similar dues throughout the realm, and the cognizance of all pleas within the borough except crown pleas.
He was a member of the Virginia House of Burgesses in 1759-1760.
Two burgesses were returned in 1577, but it was not again represented till the same privilege was conferred on it in 1832.
Since the Reform Act of 183 2 the burgesses have returned two members to parliament.