- The definition of bullying is mean behavior such as physical or verbal abuse directed at another person in order to hurt that individual or to get the individual to do what you want.
Pushing someone down on the playground to steal his lunch money is an example of bullying.
One boy bullying another.Licensed from iStockPhoto
Variant of bully
- a person who hurts, frightens, or tyrannizes over those who are smaller or weaker
- Brit., Dialectal a companion or comrade
- Archaic a pimp
- Archaic a hired cutthroat or thug
- Archaic a fine fellow
Origin: origin, originally , sweetheart ; from Dutch boel, lover, brother ; from Middle High German buole (Ger buhle), lover, probably origin, originally diminutive of bruder, brother; later influenced, influence by bull
- dashing, hearty, or jolly: my bully lad
- ☆ Informal fine; very good
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.